2014 Mock Draft 1.0
By Ryan Crawford
Let me start off by saying this is a very interesting draft. While there are multiple Quarterbacks that everyone talks about, I don’t think they are on a level with many of the QB’s that have been top ten picks in the past. Of course the teams that generally need Quarterbacks reside in the top ten. You would expect some of those teams to trade down for some additional value but I don’t anticipate the teams looking to move up paying a steep price to move. Teams generally overpay for franchise QB’s and these guys don’t fit that description. Don’t expect teams to jump up for the strength of this draft, which are Wide Receivers, Tackles and a couple of Defensive studs at the top. The result will be a cat and mouse game and alot of picks that people will be shocked at, both high and low. It will be one of the hardest drafts in years to predict. Good luck to the experts on this one. Should be a lot of fun…
1. HOUSTON TEXANS- Jadaveon Clowney-DL- South Carolina
Texans need a QB but not at #1. Clowney is still the best player in the draft.
2. ST. LOUIS RAMS- Greg Robinson- Tackle- Auburn
This guy is a mountain with huge upside. I expected Rams to try to trade down but the price might not be worth it if someone is not coming up to get a QB or Clowney.
3. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS- Khalil Mack-OLB- Buffalo
The Jags need a QB bad and if they jump it would probably be Bortles but I think they wait till later rounds to grab the QB and keep building their defense.
4. CLEVELAND BROWNS- Sammy Watkins-WR-Clemson
Another QB needy team that will wait till later. Any QB coming in to a situation with Josh Gordon and this stud receiver will look better anyway.
5. OAKLAND RAIDERS- Jake Matthews- Tackle- Texas A & M
If Al Davis were alive, this pick would have Johnny Manziel written all over it. Does anyone ever really know what the Raiders will do? Matthews is the smart pick for a team in need of protection up front.
6. ATLANTA FALCONS- Taylor Lewan- Tackle- Michigan
The Falcons need linemen to protect Matty Ice and Lewan is the third tackle off the board early.
7. TAMPA BAY BUCS- Darqueze Dennard- CB- Michigan State
Defense, Defense, Defense for new coach Lovie Smith as the Bucs secure one of the top corners in the draft.
8. MINNESOTA VIKINGS- Blake Bortles-QB-UCF
Vikings sit tight and grab the only QB they really wanted for new coach Mike Zimmer.
9. BUFFALO BILLS- Eric Ebron- TE- North Carolina
Bills snag a big time weapon for second year QB EJ Manuel.
10. DETROIT LIONS- Mike Evans- WR- Texas A&M
Could go corner here but teaming Evans with Megatron makes too much sense and scares the heck out of opposing secondarys.
11. TENNESSEE TITANS- Justin Gilbert- CB- Oklahoma State
With the secondary defections in free agency, a big need for Titans is filled with this pick.
12. NEW YORK GIANTS- Anthony Barr- OLB- UCLA
Giants are in need of strong defenders and haven’t had a linebacker with this much potential in years.
13. ST LOUIS RAMS- Ha Ha Clinton Dix- S- Alabama
If the Rams can’t trade down off the 2nd pick, look for them to trade down here to add more picks later on. If they use the pick, a good safety is a big need and Dix is one of the top two. Calvin Pryor also a strong possibility
14. CHICAGO BEARS- Timmy Jernigan- DT- Florida State
The Bears need to beef up the defensive line and Jernigan brings the beef in a big way
15. PITTSBURGH STEELERS- Aaron Donald-DT-Pittsburgh
The Steelers stay in town to pick the speedy, strong Donald. Another team that needs to rebuild its defense and this is a good start.
16. DALLAS COWBOYS- Johnny Manziel-QB-Texas A&M
Nothing more than a hunch on my part, but imagine this guy playing for America’s team. Jerry Jones is never one to miss a good marketing opportunity and Tony Romo is 33 and not exactly Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Makes sense from so many vantage points.
17. BALTIMORE RAVENS- Odell Beckham Jr-WR-LSU
Ravens can really use another weapon for Joe Flacco and Beckham Jr is one of the best. Brandin Cooks could go here as well.
18. NEW YORK JETS- Calvin Pryor- S- Louisville
Yes I know the Jets need another receiver badly but this guy is a hammer and Rex is drooling at the thought of a young Ed Reed. The Wide Receiver class is very deep and they will get a couple in later rounds.
19. MIAMI DOLPHINS- Morgan Moses- OT- Virginia
It’s no secret that the Dolphins need some serious help on the offensive line and this guy should slot in at one of the tackles.
20. ARIZONA CARDINALS- Bradley Roby- CB- Ohio State
Even with the addition of Antonio Cromartie, the Cards could use a young corner and this guy has all the talent in the world
21. GREEN BAY PACKERS – Kony Ealy- DE/LB- Missouri
The Packers need a lot of help on this side of the ball and the versatile Ealy can play multiple spots. CJ Mosley is a possibility here as well.
22. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES- Brandin Cooks-WR-Oregon State
Doesn’t take the Eagles long to replace Desean Jackson with this speedster whom Chip Kelly knows well from his Oregon days.
23. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS- Kelvin Benjamin-WR-Florida State
Chiefs need more weapons for Alex Smith and Benjamin is a big target.
24. CINCINNATI BENGALS- Jason Verrett- CB- TCU
Marvin Lewis is concerned about his secondary and the corners are starting to run so he grabs a very good prospect in Verrett
25. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS- Louis Nix- NT- Notre Dame
A strong nose tackle prospect, Nix is a great fit for the Chargers D.
26. CLEVELAND BROWNS- Teddy Bridgewater- QB- Louisville
How many times have we seen this one. The guy a team was considering at 4 drops to their next pick at 26. The last time we saw this was with Geno Smith and the Jets last year. The Browns can’t believe their good fortune and the shouts of joy are heard all the way from Cleveland.
27. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS- Ryan Shazier-OLB- Ohio State
The Saints need to improve their defense and Shazier is a good step in that direction. He can play inside or move outside if needed at the linebacker spot.
28. CAROLINA PANTHERS- Zach Martin –T-Notre Dame
Looking for another Tackle, Martin falls right into the Panthers lap.
29. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS- CJ Mosley- ILB- Alabama
Another defender for the Patriots. A wide receiver is a possibility here or trading down as the Pats like to do.
30. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS- Marqise Lee- WR- USC
In need of another young receiver, 49ers are thrilled to get Lee at 30.
31. DENVER BRONCOS- Dee Ford- DE- Auburn
Think the Broncos need more defense? Me too. Another guy to rush the passer
32. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS- Ra’Shede Hageman- DT- Minnesota
What do you get the team that has everything? Another weapon for Russell Wilson? Another defender for a team full of stud defenders? Some protection for the offense? Just get the best guy available and at this point that is Hageman.