2014 Mock Draft 2.0
By Ryan Crawford
My mock draft 1.0 was devoid of the early QB run that was expected and mock draft 2.0 follows the same pattern. I think that now that the QB situation has gotten murkier and that there will be a lot of moves both up and down that do not involve the QBs. Houston at 1 and St. Louis at 2 are both candidates to move down. With St Louis having 2 and 13 I believe there is no doubt that Rams GM Les Snead will be moving all over the place. We heard rumors for months that every pick from 3 to 7 could also be in play. Here’s my most recent stab at it.
1. HOUSTON TEXANS- Jadaveon Clowney-DL- South Carolina
Clowney is still the best player in the draft. I don’t think it’s a question at this point that he goes number one. I think the question is who makes the pick. Probably will be the Texans but the Falcons are interested and there are a couple of rumors about the unknown suitors as well.
2. ST. LOUIS RAMS- Greg Robinson- Tackle- Auburn
I do not think the Rams make this pick but if they do it will be the manchild Robinson or WR Sammy Watkins. Could Cleveland move up a couple picks?
3. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS- Khalil Mack-OLB- Buffalo
This is what I wrote in Mock 1.0 and I’m sticking with it. “The Jags need a QB bad and if they jump it would probably be Bortles but I think they wait till later rounds to grab the QB and keep building their defense”
4. CLEVELAND BROWNS- Sammy Watkins-WR-Clemson
I’m convinced the Browns will not pick a QB with this pick and word is they are so intrigued with Watkins that they may move to 2 to get him.
5. OAKLAND RAIDERS- Mike Evans- Wide Receiver- Texas A & M
To me this is the toughest pick of the draft. If one of the elite 4 drop it becomes a no brainer but if not, hmmmm… I’m gonna slot big receiver Mike Evans in here as it is imperative that the Raiders get a receiver, so why not one of the best?
6. ATLANTA FALCONS- Taylor Lewan- Tackle- Michigan
The Falcons need linemen to protect Matty Ice and Lewan is rising up the board. I still think they have a realistic shot at going to number 1 for Clowney.
7. TAMPA BAY BUCS- Odell Beckham Jr- WR- LSU
I think the Bucs will trade down for multiple picks but if not they grab the third wide receiver in seven picks. Don’t sleep on Beckham Jr. One of my favorites in the draft.
8. MINNESOTA VIKINGS- Aaron Donald-DT-Pittsburgh
Vikings need to rebuild the defensive line and this guy is a great place to start. Maybe a QB in round 2?
9. BUFFALO BILLS- Jake Mathews- Tackle- Texas A&M
I had Eric Ebron in Mock 1.0 but that was before I realized Jake Mathews might be available. A no brainer as the Bills need a tackle badly.
10. DETROIT LIONS- Darquez Dennard- Cornerback- Michigan State
The Lions should go for a corner or a receiver here but with the run on receivers, they can get the top rated corner.
11. TENNESSEE TITANS- Justin Gilbert- CB- Oklahoma State
Johnny Manziel? Not yet…. Defense wins championships and a corner is a priority.
12. NEW YORK GIANTS- Eric Ebron- TE- North Carolina
It’s no secret the Giants are in dire need of a top flight tight end. Best tight end in the draft drops into the Giants lap at 12.
13. ST LOUIS RAMS- . Johnny Manziel-QB-Texas A&M
No way the Rams pick at 13. Maybe up or maybe down but not 13. My hunch from Mock #1 had the Cowboys getting Johnny Manziel at 16. It seems my hunch from a month ago has gained a little traction in the media but I’m not sure he gets that far because word is the Rams love him. Could you imagine if the Rams didn’t have to trade a boatload of picks for a running QB with a rocket arm and he turned out better than RGIII?? Is that Daniel Snyder we hear sniffling? Wow.
14. CHICAGO BEARS- Ra’Shede Hageman- DT- Minnesota
Bears need defensive line help. Hageman is a rock on the line and will help.
15. PITTSBURGH STEELERS- Zach Martin –T-Notre Dame
Looking for another Tackle, Martin is being described by pundits as one of the safest picks in the draft.
16. DALLAS COWBOYS- Dee Ford- DE- Auburn
Cowboys are looking for defensive help and Ford will help offset the loss of DeMarcus Ware. I expect the Cowboys to be another team that tries to trade down.
17 BALTIMORE RAVENS- Brandin Cooks- WR- Oregon State
Ravens rumored to be trading down as well but can really use another weapon for Joe Flacco and Cooks is Tavon Austin redux.
18 NEW YORK JETS- Calvin Pryor- S- Louisville
Another quote from Mock 1.0: “Yes I know the Jets need another receiver badly but this guy is a hammer and Rex is drooling at the thought of a young Ed Reed. The Wide Receiver class is very deep and they will get a couple in later rounds”. We will stay with this pick for Mock 2.0.
19. MIAMI DOLPHINS- Morgan Moses-Tackle- Virginia
It’s no secret that the Dolphins need some serious help on the offensive line and this guy should slot in at one of the tackles.
20. ARIZONA CARDINALS- Kony Ealy- DE/LB- Missouri
Could this be a QB landing spot? My guess is there are enough QB prospects for the Cards to look in round 2 or 3. Ealy fills big defensive needs for the Cardinals.
21. GREEN BAY PACKERS – CJ Mosley- ILB- Alabama
The Packers need a lot of help on defense and Mosley makes a lot of sense in this spot.
22. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES- Anthony Barr- OLB- UCLA
A PAC-12 Linebacker for Chip Kelly to help keep Romo, RGIII and Eli in check.
23. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS- HaHa Clinton-Dix- S- Alabama
Chiefs are absolutely thrilled that Dix drops down this far and quickly gobble him up.
24. CINCINNATI BENGALS- Teddy Bridgewater- QB- Louisville
We will see if all the rumors about Bridgewater landing here are true. My gut is no but I’m gonna take a shot anyway.
25. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS- Louis Nix- NT- Notre Dame
It seems that everyone who did a mock draft has Nix going to the Chargers. Can you say Perfect Fit? A strong nose tackle prospect.
26. CLEVELAND BROWNS- Blake Bortles-QB-UCF
In my first mock I had Bridgewater dropping down this far. Now I have Bortles dropping to the Browns. Either way it’s a good spot for the Browns to pick their QB of the future.
27. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS- Ryan Shazier-OLB- Ohio State
Staying with my choice from Mock 1.0: “The Saints need to improve their defense and Shazier is a good step in that direction. He can play inside or move outside if needed at the linebacker spot”. Kony Ealy is now an option here as well.
28. CAROLINA PANTHERS- Kelvin Benjamin- WR- Florida State
Clearly one of the biggest needs on this team is a big go-to target for Cam Newton.
29. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS- Kyle Fuller- CB- Virginia Tech
Too good a player to pass up and of course Revis will be a Free Agent at the end of the year anyway (sound familiar??)
30. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS- Marqise Lee- WR- USC
My first Mock choice for the Niners stays in play. “In need of another young receiver, 49ers are thrilled to get Lee at 30”.
31. DENVER BRONCOS- Kony Ealy- LB/DE- Missouri
Can you ever have enough pass rushers and defenders? I think not.
32. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS- Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE- Washington
They probably trade down a few and pick up a couple of picks from a team looking to jump the top teams in round two for a QB. Think Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, Zach Mettenberger or AJ McCarron??
Other Potential 1st Round Picks (besides the QBs)
DeMarcus Lawrence DE Boise St
Joel Bitonio G Nevada
Jason Verrett CB TCU
Timmy Jernigan DT Florida State
Bradley Roby CB Ohio State
Davante Adams WR Fresno State